Repository
  • Devon Heritage Centre
Reference number
  • 1273F
Date
  • 1849-1948
Format
  • Documents; Volumes
Access status
  • Restricted
Access conditions
  • Medical records of individual patients were closed to public inspection for 100 years when this collection was deposited. (see Lord Chancellor's Instrument No. 3, 7th January 1961 and Department of Health Circular HC(89)20, August 1989). Until the start of 2005, certain classes of records (those containing personal information about patients or staff members) were subject to the general 100 year closure period for medical records imposed by Lord Chancellor's Instrument 92 (LCI 92), issued in 1991. Access to these records is now chiefly subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act, 2000, in addition to the Data Protection Act, 1998. In the case of such personally sensitive material as exists in this collection, such records will usually remain unavailable for general access for 100 years from the date of birth of the data subject, but the DHC staff can compile written reports for enquirers.
Level
  • Fonds
Admin history
  • Administrative History Teignmouth Hospital was founded in 1848 by subscription, and was originally known as the Teignmouth and Dawlish Dispensary. In 1855 it became the Teignmouth, Dawlish and Newton Infirmary and in 1926 it transferred to a new and larger building. Dawlish Cottage Hospital, founded in 1871 by subscription was amalgamated with Teignmouth Hospital in 1948. The Teignmouth & Dawlish Hospitals were administered by the Hospital Management Committee of Exeter and Mid-Devon, at the time these records were deposited.
Creator name
  • Teignmouth and Dawlish Dispensary, 1848-1855 Teignmouth, Dawlish and Newton Infirmary Dawlish Cottage Hospital, 1871-1948 Teignmouth Hospital