Administrative History John Rundle, banker of Ferrum Hill, Tavistock, was very much involved in Tavistock public affairs in the first half of the nineteenth century. He was elected three times successively, in 1835, 1837 and 1841, as Member of Parliament for the Borough, from which he resigned in 1843 (see T.D.A., Vol. XLIII, p. 387, "Tavistock as a Parliamentary Borough"). In addition he was concerned in a number of businesses in Tavistock including a brewary, Gill and Rundle's bank in Higher Market Street, Gill and Rundle's foundry in Parkham Road, Rundle and Co.'s gasworks on the Callington Road, and Gill and Rundle's firm of merchants and carriers. This latter firm were lessees of the Tavistock Canal and had their own limekilns, warehouses, warves, and other premises at the Canal Basin in Tavistock and at Mill Hill. On 10th May 1825 John Rundle married Barbara daughter of John Gill and his wife Barbara. One of the Gills named William, who later became the Rev. William Gill of Venn, was orphaned as a child and placed in the care of John Rundle and his wife. For further information on the family see Alderman H.D. Gill, Random Notes on the Tavistock Gills, 1957.