Southernhay, Exeter, United Reformed Church... Southernhay, Exeter, United Reformed Church, 1814-1989
Southernhay, Exeter, United Reformed Church, 1814-1989
Devon Heritage Centre
History notes for 5423 United Reformed Church, Southernhay, Exeter.
First formed in Exeter by Lewis Stuckley during the Commonwealth. He established a Congregational Church in the Nave of the Cathedral in 1650.
Calvinist Methodist tabernacle in Coombe Street.
Church established in Castle Street in 1794-1870
Church built in Southernhay 1870-1910
Church destroyed 1942 by bombs during WWII
The rebuilt Southernhay Congregational Church officially opened 1957 and adjoining rooms in 1959. Church hall opened in 1961.
Southernhay has always been a 'Congregational' church but elected to become a member of the new 'United Reformed' Church which is a union of the Congregational and Presbyterian denominations. The new Church was inaugurated in Westminster Abbey on 5th October 1972.
Castle Street Sunday School (Davis Trust Charity)